Create a wearable Game of Thrones inspired braided hairstyle with a few curls, twists, and the following tips by senior stylist Jill Engelsen!
1. Part the hair to your preference then start by curling the hair in vertical sections away from the face using a curling wand. You want to let the hair twist naturally as you wrap it around the wand. This will create that extra wavy texture that can’t be achieved just by using a traditional curling iron the standard way.
2. Start a twist about a 1/2 inch away from the hairline and twist towards the back of the head. Make sure to alway twist the top piece over towards the ear, then back under towards the part while grabbing more hair from the area between the part and where you want the twist positioned. Continue to grab more hair until you reach the ear, then start twisting without grabbing more hair. (You want to allow some hair to hang down untwisted in the back of the head from the crown down.)
When you start the rest of the twist, keep in mind that there are three types of twisting happening at once. First, you always want to twist the hair in each hand out, away from each other – then twist the hair from your top hand over your bottom hand (continuing the same twisting you’ve been doing, without adding more hair) and repeat. Jill says, “It will seem counter productive but trust me, that’s how it stays!” Once finished, secure with a rubber band and clip in the back of the head. Proceed to the other side, and repeat.
3. Secure both sides at the back of the head with a rubber band. Then repeat two more rows of smaller twists under the ones you just did. When done, secure them with a rubber band.
TIP: “You can cut off the rubber bands when you’re done if they’re too visible.”
4. With the three twists that are each bound in the back, carefully undo the band and twist one over the other and secure with a hairpin. Repeat with the next two twists.
5. Braid together the remaining ends of hair left over and secure with a band. Then grab a piece of hair from each side and wrap around the braid to create a stronger look and secure with hairspray on the ends.
6. Last but not least – brush the hair that is hanging loosely with a Mason Pearson brush to loosen the curls and give you the look of a less contrived style.
7. Have fun with it!