To kick off the spring season, we partnered with our chic friends at Hooked Up Shapewear for a make-under event, where stylish babes flaunted their feminine shapes and healthy, sculpted hair waves! Special thanks to our VIP guests, beauty editors and bloggers for making the fabulous day a blast!
Top: Dawn Davis, Total Beauty
Middle: Liz Black, Refinery29
Top: Syden Abrenica, Family Circle
Bottom: Victoria Lincoln, Real Simple | Julia Fawal, Woman’s Day | Adrianna Barrionuevo, The Fashion Spot
Top: Katie, Bridal Guide
Bottom: Elaine Vaun, Vaun’s View | Pandora & Kayla, OK! Mag | Dory Larrabee, Hollywood Life
Top: Samantha Shelton, Redbook
Bottom: Caitlin Miller, Style Bistro | Julie Ricevuto, You Beauty | Soelis + Vicglamar + Milena, Mamas Latinas
Photo Booth via Digisnaps.
Create a wearable Game of Thrones inspired braided hairstyle with a few curls, twists, and the following tips by senior stylist Jill Engelsen!
1. Part the hair to your preference then start by curling the hair in vertical sections away from the face using a curling wand. You want to let the hair twist naturally as you wrap it around the wand. This will create that extra wavy texture that can’t be achieved just by using a traditional curling iron the standard way.
2. Start a twist about a 1/2 inch away from the hairline and twist towards the back of the head. Make sure to alway twist the top piece over towards the ear, then back under towards the part while grabbing more hair from the area between the part and where you want the twist positioned. Continue to grab more hair until you reach the ear, then start twisting without grabbing more hair. (You want to allow some hair to hang down untwisted in the back of the head from the crown down.)
When you start the rest of the twist, keep in mind that there are three types of twisting happening at once. First, you always want to twist the hair in each hand out, away from each other – then twist the hair from your top hand over your bottom hand (continuing the same twisting you’ve been doing, without adding more hair) and repeat. Jill says, “It will seem counter productive but trust me, that’s how it stays!” Once finished, secure with a rubber band and clip in the back of the head. Proceed to the other side, and repeat.
3. Secure both sides at the back of the head with a rubber band. Then repeat two more rows of smaller twists under the ones you just did. When done, secure them with a rubber band.
TIP: “You can cut off the rubber bands when you’re done if they’re too visible.”
4. With the three twists that are each bound in the back, carefully undo the band and twist one over the other and secure with a hairpin. Repeat with the next two twists.
5. Braid together the remaining ends of hair left over and secure with a band. Then grab a piece of hair from each side and wrap around the braid to create a stronger look and secure with hairspray on the ends.
6. Last but not least – brush the hair that is hanging loosely with a Mason Pearson brush to loosen the curls and give you the look of a less contrived style.
7. Have fun with it!
The inspiration for this versatile shoulder-length hairstyle idea is Kim Kardashian’s new lob. Since most of us are a little scared of going too short in one shot, master stylist Nicole Descoteaux compromised on leaving some length. “I cut the back shorter than the front, which is the classic idea of a lob and what separates it from being a regular bob look…”
For more of a statement, Nicole decided to keep the bangs a little longer, too. “I’m sort of into the grown out little bang look that’s on trend now,” she says. Styling was all about working with the interior layers of the mid-length cut using the hair’s natural texture. Super simple! To top off the fresh feeling of sexy hair, makeup master Francesca Roman combined a mix of sultry and nude to create a gorgeous glow with softly glossed lips.
Words from Taylor Brock, stylist and treatment specialist:
With new additions to Chronologiste’s in-salon caviar pearl ritual and the introduction of an at-home regimen, “the finest haircare treatment ever created by Kérastase” has just gone up another level…
Chronologiste is considered to be the ultimate deep-conditioning treatment for all hair types because it contains the most active ingredients ever offered by Kérastase. The new and improved version now offers a renewing pre-shampoo hair treatment that targets the scalp to receive specialized stabilization and repair. A healthy scalp allows hair follicles to produce easier, therefore resulting in faster hair growth. But the science doesn’t stop there – the product also works as a super hair primer, opening up your hair to grab as much of the treatment as possible to enable top notch revitalization. Also new to the line is the nutrient-packed shampoo and conditioner, directly inspired by the transformative treatment we’ve come to know and love. And don’t forget the nourishing Chronologiste oil fragrance, your last step styler for adding shine and softness. Regardless of the vitamins, moisture, strength and antioxidant properties found in this complete treatment system – the scent alone is enough to get you hooked. It will leave you asking, “Why can’t everything smell like this?” The bottom line is, when hair gets compromised on any level, there’s nothing better at reviving it than Chronologiste. The results were amazing before but the new additions will make you a groupie!
Check it out, Chronologiste speaks for itself…
Congratulations to new Butterfly stylist Jennifer Penny for earning her expert chair – and her place among the ranks of the city’s top hair professionals! While training under Butterfly’s senior eductators, Jennifer’s talent and eye for beauty has already landed her placements in both print and online publications such as Newsday and AMNY! Browse tabs below to view highlights of her work…
(For bookings, kindly contact reception at 212.253.2100)
Stylist Jason J Dougherty worked backstage at Ranfan – where the look was all about making a strong statement with sleek, low ponytails and bold center parts. Yarok organic hair products were used to get the shiny, slicked back look just right.
Congratulations to our color mavens on their next career step as Butterfly hair color experts! To book an appointment for all over color, highlights, balayage, or color correction contact us at 212.253.2100.
(Click images to see each gorgeous makeover in full view)
Next Page — View Tamara’s Recent Work
(Image: Daily Look)
No Valentine’s Day, romantic date, or special occasion is ever complete without the perfect evening outfit. That’s why we turned to the fabulous Tisa Monét – Butterfly’s education/business development manager and fashionista (known as The Gold Curve) – who gave us all the right advice with an easy fashion guide for date night! “The Little Black Dress is synonymous with chic and sexy,” says Tisa. “It’s the one statement piece that works for any Butterfly babe – and it also makes the man in your life feel extremely special when he sees you in a LBD!”
Here are her flirty outfit ideas featuring LBDs and other items chosen from dailylook.com….
“The perfect look for a classic Valentine’s Day night, including a romantic dinner in the city!”
Sultry Mesh Panel Bodycon Dress
Giles & Brother Mini Pied De Biche Bracelet
Chinese Laundry Lace Jeopardy Heels
Classic Leatherette Clutch
“A textured and chic LBD, finished with a red lip is sure to give your man butterflies!”
BB Dakota Branson Dress
Kapowski Vegan Leather Shoulder Bag
Finely Contoured Midi Ring Set
Everyday Bangle Bracelet Set
Chinese Laundry Jinxy Booties
“Classic will always be in style, but sometimes it’s good to change it up. Flaunt your curves in a fashionable romper! Perfect for your next all-girls night, when you’re going out for cocktails and dancing.”
(and so on when you mix and match!)
Three Of Something Tidal Playsuit
STYLESTALKER Love Story Jumpsuit
Lovers + Friends My Way Jumpsuit
Modern Vice Ghillie Heels
Heart Soul Patricia Heel
Chinese Laundry Jinxy Booties
Hair & Quotes by Jason J Dougherty | Butterfly Studio Stylist
The Top Knot Bun is the best accessory to showcase with your fashionable evening attire. This regal and sophisticated look will make any girl feel as striking and powerful as royalty. When the hair is pulled in tight off the neck, it allows the eye to be drawn to the supple curves of the female body. During the season when your look needs to be the most polished and glamorous (think romantic outings, formal parties, and award ceremonies), the Top Knot(ch) Bun will help you achieve the perfect “Knock ‘Em Dead” look for all fancy, festive, or fashionable occasions that come your way!
Polished and sleek knot hairstyle.
WHY WE LOVE IT: This look was seen at fashion houses from Altuzarra, Carolina Herrera, to Jean Paul Gaultier. It’s the perfect look for any party or black tie event this winter!
BEST FOR: The woman whom wants to make all eyes turns when she enters the room. She embraces her femininity yet exudes confidence, expressed by this dramatic statement.
WHEN AND “WEAR”: Formal Attire, Sophisticated Date, Weddings, Red Carpet. Pair with gowns, dress pants, power blazer – or a draped, flowing look.
TIPS & TRICKS:
1. Use a little hair oil (Oribe Gold Lust) and blowdry hair until smooth.
2. Flat iron the hair to get it more sleek and shiny.
3. Mix a generous amount of pomade and oil in your hands and apply through the hair. (Try Shu Uemura’s Shape Paste and Oribe’s Gold Lust)
4. Use a Mason Pearson Brush and smooth out the hair, brushing taught into a high ponytail.
5. Create a loose braid and wrap it around into your desired knot shape.
6. Anchor with hairpins and spray with a hairspray such as Superfine from Oribe.
We’ve all experienced a styling dilemma after an hour at the gym… It’s either major frizz at the front of your hairline – or your hair gets so sweaty that it becomes near impossible to leave without washing it first. Then you realize you have only 20 minutes to get to work, so what do you do? The good news is that there are some quick fixes that won’t make you sweat over that messy hair look… Stylist Dana Tizzio shares her tips for cleaning up your flat or frizzy gym hair so you can skip the shampoo and hit the town sooner!
Products and tools to have in your gym bag (or when you’re in a time crunch):
– Bobby pins (standard and U-shaped)
– A few small elastics and a big one to tie a pony or to hold up a bun
– Touché Finale serum by Kerastase to smooth and shine
– Kerastase Form Fatale to use as a light hold gel
– Oribe Impermeable anti-humidity spray which will work as your hairspray
*Carry compact shapes and travel-sizes so they can fit in almost anything!
If you’re looking for a way to define your ringlets and make your curls shine, it doesn’t get more beautiful, more fun, or even more customizable than balayage highlights. This versatile method of coloring is a match for enhancing the look of curly hair for hair lengths short, medium, and long. In fact, it’s a great alternative for trying something new in the middle of a grow out – or when you just want to freshen up a specific style or haircut you’re already happy with. (It also offers a way to reinvent yourself when you don’t have the inches of hair to loose!) Color expert Faye Coronado explains, “When you create a look with balayage on curly or wavy hair, it becomes all about playing with the curls to accentuate the cut and natural texture as much as possible with the color.” By adding dimension to any hairstyle, balayage better shapes the look of your curls.
“I chose to frame the face and brighten Cortney up for the winter by adding hues of gold and honey throughout her curls,” says Faye. “These warm tones highlight her skin and draw attention to her gorgeous blue eyes.” If your curls are ready for a glam makeover, pick warm and toasty or go for more towards an icy, platinum touch. There’s also the new Ecaille trend which pairs sun-kissed ends in gold and caramel tones with darker, more natural looking roots. “Balayage becomes the most customized accessory for a woman, which she can continue evolving into the tastes and trends of the new year. Or, you can opt for not much upkeep at all since it’s one of the most low maintenance hair color choices out there!” Balayage can even benefit the gals who prefer to tame their curls by wearing the hair up and away from the face. Whether you choose loose, full, cropped, twisted, braided, wrapped or pinned hair – the addition of balayage adds extra shimmer and flair to make a style more unique. The results glisten when the light hits your strands so even the most simple looks are never boring!
Stop by to sip on a “greentini” and explore healthy options for your body, hair, and skin! Learn how to live healthier, smarter, and more beautifully in just one night with ALOHA foods & supplements, THE PEEL BAR by BeautyRx Skincare, The Bar Method NYC, and Butterfly’s expert styling team…
– Win a complimentary blow out and express hair treatment! Raffles will be held every 15 minutes.
– Complimentary Glycolic Facial Peel – first come, first serve.
– Offer from The Bar Method: 30 day trial, only $100!
– Receive 10% off when you shop our healthy brands and product recommendations.
– Customize your own beauty box of 3 or more health & wellness products and receive a voucher for a customized deep-conditioning treatment on your next visit.
– Take home a healthy goody bag for attending!
Read the online article.
Makeup: Cristina Marroquin; Hair: Jill Engelsen; Photos: Caroline Voagen Nelson.
Can’t stop thinking about actress Jessica Chastain’s coffee-colored smoky eyes and angled shadow from the Golden Globes? Now you can take the stunning look that walked the carpet and master it at home with these tips by makeup artist Cristina Marroquin! (We’ve got this combination of beautiful brown and shimmery chocolate in a winged eye shape at the top of our list for Valentine’s Day!)
How to Get the Perfect Winged Smoky Eye Every Time via PopSugar:
Step 1: Prime Time
When doing a smoky eye, always start with shadow first — even before foundation. To begin, apply primer to the eye area to balance out redness and create an even tone. “You must prepare the skin first,” Marroquin said. “Just like on a canvas, you paint primer first.” Next, dust on a light, neutral eye shadow all over lids to create a base. Choose a shade similar to your natural skin tone.
Step 2: Smoke Signals
Top the neutral shadow with a dark-brown shade from lash line to crease, leaving the inner corners clear. Use a shadow brush with a flat edge to help create the winged shape of the shadow. Then, blend with a fluffier, domed tool.
Step 3: Black Out
Layer a black shadow on top of the brown. Focus the darker color just around the lash line, along the outer corner, and in the crease. Extend the black shadow color down to the lower lash line, stopping about two-thirds in. This leaves the area around the tear duct clear.
Step 4: Wings Up
As the final step for the eye makeup, draw in the wing with a metallic gray shadow. Use a straight-edged piece of paper to get the perfect angle that follows the curve of the lower lash line. You can use a makeup-removing oil or serum to gently erase any mistakes and sharpen the lines before coating the top and bottom lashes in mascara.
Step 5: Finishing Touches
Now that the smoky eye is complete, apply concealer and foundation. Then add color to the cheeks and lips. Marroquin layered two separate blushes — a bright pink shade followed by a bronze natural tone for a lit-from-within flush. Finally, apply a muted pink lipstick and swipe on a matching gloss.
To complete your sexy eye look, senior stylist Jill Engelsen recommends adding a touch of Old Hollywood glam with soft, sideswept waves. For a look that’s more modern and less retro, keep curls loose and easy. The hairstyle will feel elegant and pulled together while keeping your overall vibe classy and effortless.
Change does not have to be complicated – or boring! It’s time to start over and love yourself!
1. LOOK YOUNGER IN MINUTES. As seen in January’s issue of Harper’s Bazaar: “Improve your skin while getting your hair done! Check out the BeautyRx Peel Bar at Butterfly Studio, where you can experience dermatologist Neal Shultz’s 40 percent glycolic acid peel.” For a limited-time only, the treatment is just $39 so sign up for smoother, glowier skin – and get it in a New York Minute!
2. GIVE “GREEN JUICE” AN UPGRADE. Beauty and wellness starts from within, so why not enhance yourself with a boost from ALOHA’s powerful Daily Good Greens? Simply stir a pack into your shake, sprinkle onto your yogurt – or for the purist at heart, mix a pack with bottled or coconut water to take on-the-go. You can even add the greens to your salad dressing or a healthy recipe, so there is plenty of room to be creative!
3. DARE-TO-WEAR, A-LIST HAIR. There’s currently one thing that Hollywood and the chic New York chick have in common: Short hair. We know you’ve been eyeing a shorter look, so why not change it up? The start of a new year is the perfect time to sport a cropped haircut and embrace that sexy, shaggy texture before the hair trend becomes even hotter this Spring.
4. DON’T GET STUCK IN A MAKEUP RUT. Want to learn that editorial or celebrity look? How about a tutorial on airbrushed skin or face-slimming contouring? Schedule a makeup lesson with our beauty experts to brush up on the newest application techniques and learn the pro tricks for becoming a master of the makeup bag!
5. BUMP UP THE BRIGHTNESS. Our trend-savvy color experts are turning up the shine with L’Oreal Professional’s latest ammonia-free hues. Warm up your shade with a bit of balayage, or get your tone on with a bronzed brunette or brilliant crimson. For the at-home solution gals, Shu Uemura’s new Color Lustre collection is a must try. This superior treatment system brings color-treated manes back to life and into the spotlight!
6. PURIFY YOUR SKIN. Slough away signs of the winter weather and reveal a cleaner, healthier complexion with Butterfly’s all-natural “Skin Perfecting Facial.” Joanna Vargas’ renowned techniques and healthy skincare shine during this tranquil service with esthetician Cristina Marroquin. Just relax while we renew!
7. DON’T SWEAT YOUR WORKOUT. If you’re looking for a way to get lean and tone your body without breaking a sweat, there are just three word to get familiar with: The Bar Method. Time and time again, “Bar” tops our favorites list for its unconventional and fun fitness routines which quickly get us into shape. It’s the fastest way to get rid of flab and get back to feeling trim. It works!
8. TRANSFORMATION TIME. When hair becomes dehydrated, it’s a hint to treat our hair a little nicer. Completely transform your tired look and replenish hair by choosing one of our expert-recommended treatments – be it an in-salon service like Chronologiste, or a take-away treatment such as Home Lab or a hydrating hair mask.
9. LEARN A LITTLE (OR A LOT!) The shortest road to better hair days is with knowledge. Stop by for a blow dry and get invaluable styling advice customized specifically for your hair type. Our hair specialists will show you anything from up-to-date tips for an entirely new blow out to the proper use and cleaning of tools for maintaining a smart styling station at home.
10. MAKE HEALTHIER CHOICES. If your 2015 goals include watching your diet, then take your pick from Aloha’s tasty Protein Shakes. These satisfying organic beverages are full of good-for-you, non-GMO ingredients that don’t require a blender to enjoy. Bring these healthy meals with you so you can eat good and feel good wherever you go!
Hair: Jill Engelsen; Makeup: Cristina Marroquin; Photos: Caroline Voagen Nelson.
How to Get the Milkmaid Braid Right Off the Golden Globes Red Carpet via PopSugar:
Update your plait with a glamorous milkmaid style braid and get yourself on the best dressed list at your next event! Senior stylist Jill Engelsen shows us how to achieve a trendy braided updo inspired by Golden Globe winner Joanne Froggatt at home…
Step 1: Blow-Dry
Begin by applying dry texturizing spray to the hair from roots to midshaft, and blow-dry the product into the hair for a smooth finish. Using a round brush, give the crown of the hair extra volume. To prevent tangles, Engelsen recommends putting the blow dryer down altogether.
“Set the blow dryer down, take a section at the top of your head where you want the volume, and place your round brush into the base of the hair, going away from your face,” she explained. “Then pick up the blow dryer and move the nozzle with the brush all the way to the ends.”
Step 2: Tease
Create a middle part, but don’t worry if it’s not quite straight. Follow the natural flow of your hair to get a less-than-formal fringe. Use a fine-tooth comb to create a zigzaggy part half an inch from the hairline on both sides of the center part. Pin away these bangs.
Back-comb hair starting at the hairline and working back to the nape in an alternating pattern, as if you were laying tile. “[Teasing] creates volume and a grip for the bobby pins when you put the braid on top,” Engelsen said. Once you’ve teased the entire back section, smooth all the hair back using a bristle brush.
Step 3: Pigtails
Make a diagonal part from the top right to the bottom left of the larger section using just your fingers. You eventually want this part to disappear, so using a comb would make it too stark. Secure two separate pigtails with an elastic that matches your hair color.
Step 4: Plait
Apply more dry texture spray to the lengths of each pony, and then braid. As you go, pause periodically to loosen the plait to get a fuller, more textured milkmaid. Secure the ends with an elastic.
Step 5: Smooth
Using the long end of a rattail comb, lift the hair at the crown to make sure the lifted portion is even and the part is invisible. Then, smooth the section down and apply a wax to tame flyaways. This section should be sleek in comparison to the mussed-up braids.
Step 6: Pin
Flip the left braid up and cross it over the base of the right braid. Use bobby pins to secure the braid above the ear and over the hairline. Repeat on the other side. Where the ends meet front and center, tuck the elastics underneath the braid to create a seamless crown.
Makeup artist Cristina Marroquin recommends pairing your braided updo with a makeup look that places a bold focus on just one feature. For our shoot, Cristina chose the eyes. She kept it simple with classic black liquid liner, taupe gloss, and fresh, even skin to match. Enhancing the eyebrows is also an important touch when wearing you hair up. Fill in color with a brow pencil then brush to give your brows a deeper, natural-looking definition.
Recreate Joanne Froggatt’s braid with these steps!
If you’re looking for a way out of mundane hair styling days, there’s just one simple (yet surprising) solution: Lose the length. From the long list of short hair debuts on celebrities to the many customized ways shorter styles are evolving recently, it’s hard not to opt for the crop!
“Short hair is really hot right now, complimenting women of all ages,” says master stylist Kattia Solano, “The short look of today is classic yet modern – and the style has a simplicity that I love!” Most people find themselves gravitating towards cleaner, shorter hairstyles than ever before – even if the length is somewhat out of their comfort zone. Kattia says, “Make no mistake about it, a short haircut is a very striking look that will turns heads. Women will notice it and wish they can have it, or just wish they would have the guts to do it!”
The lines of a short crop are simple but very powerful because it exposes your neck – a very sexy part of a woman! Cropped hair also opens up your face to show off your sexiest facial features, such as the jaw bone. Will you have your crop moment in early 2015? We say the cold season is by far the best for trying something on the shorter side… After all, short hair is a fabulous accessory for all those chunky sweaters and bulky scarfs we’re wearing now! The absence of humid, frizzy hair days that come with warmer weather is also a styling plus. A shorter length is easy to maintain and comes with a versatility that’s hard not to love.
“You can style it straight and sleek or a little messy and wavy. Wearing it straight is more classic. Wavy tells a whole different story…” Whether you choose just a little bit of bend in your styling, “cool” and relaxed waves, or defined party waves – the look can transform from fashion forward and feminine to playful and trendy. From “model” to “new mom,” this haircut will leave you bold babes out there beaming with confidence and major sex appeal! A short cropped look such as the one pictured here by Kattia, best compliments fine to medium thickness and textures ranging from straight to wavy hair types. For the best results, try Kattia’s pro trick: “I like to cut the back with a razor to create a very soft line that blends and gives the look of perfect movement. Then I finish the sides with my shears to give a more defined line.”