Give your hair a break during the cooler months with an anything-but-boring brunette color! A rich chocolatey brown – similar to the seasonal delicious cup of hot cocoa – is a beautiful choice for winter. “Chocolate brown tones have just the right balance of cool and warm tones to create a brunette hue that mixes depth and richness, so the results won’t ever look flat or hollow,” explains color specialist Faye Coronado. “It’s a very flattering shade for olive complexions.” Our expert colorist created the gorgeous cocoa brown hue pictured, which has a hint of red that gives a gorgeous shimmer when a beam of light strikes the color. It’s just enough to create a subtle yet striking enhancement that does its part to decorate your mane.
Dark locks always look best when the shade is more natural. It should keep people guessing, “Did she or didn’t she?” A unique touch of customization is required to get there, making it somewhat difficult to achieve your best brown shade at home. Faye advises keeping your skin tone and eye color in mind when making your decision… “Dark complexions tend to compliment warmer, richer brunette tones such as the chocolate brown. Lighter skin tones and cooler eyes, such as shades of blue and gray, work nicely with deep neutral browns. And very dark brunettes should stick with an icy undertone.” For color that stays true to tone longer, make sure an extra boost of moisture and shine becomes a daily part of your hair regimen. This is particularly important when it’s cold out, but color is also known to keep better overall on healthy and nourished hair.
Beautiful brunette also means that you can amp up your makeup game! And if it’s wintertime, you have full range to play with deeper shades. You can feel more confident about pulling off those bolder, darker colors – especially on the lips. Cranberry, plums, and wines are always a favorite during the holiday season. And if you’re not a lipstick statement kind of girl, try similar shades on your lids for a colored smokey eye. You can even get graphic with your liquid liner and create a more striking eye makeup look.
During the holiday season, we all look for ways to shine. Even men seek a hair look that can take their winter wardrobe up a notch. For the Butterfly guys that need to clean up, or for those who want to amp it up, our best hair tip is NOT to shy away from hair product. The right products become particularly important when you want to add volume and keep your hairstyle looking full and fresh. When stylist Jason J Dougherty wants to rock his favorite tie and put his best self forward, he turns to a combination of Oribe haircare essentials to help him suit up and achieve a style that is equal parts cool and sophisticated. Read on to learn Jason’s easy steps for nailing a classic yet modern men’s hairstyle that would get a seal of approval from GQ Magazine. Channel your inner Don Draper and try it yourself to impress during the holidays, and welcome the new year with cool!
1. Start with clean, just washed hair and comb through before applying product.
2. Using a quarter-sized amount of gel serum, emulsify using your hands and apply product throughout hair.
3. With a fine tooth comb, comb through front half of hair and blow dry on a low setting. When blow drying the back half of your hair, simply run fingers through as you blow dry.
4. Spray texturizing spray such as Oribe’s “Dry” to roots at the front for a boost. Your style will thank you later. Sculpt hair with hands.
5. Apply a styling wax like “Rough Luxury” by Oribe on sides and back of hair for a polished, smooth look. Comb through if desired.
6. Finish with a medium, more flexible hairspray like Oribe’s non-sticky “Super Fine” throughout for extra shine and hold. If you don’t want to fuss over your hair or worry about it for hours at a time, say yes to hairspray to ensure a put together look that lasts. With Oribe, you also get the bonus of a sexy scent for the win!
Stylist Amanda Colihan recently showed us a bodacious hairstyle that had us smitten and completely mad about mod. Now she shows us another voluminous look that you will be running to try! Sweep your hair back and learn the double ponytail technique – a pro trick that will change the way you pony up. It’s an easy way to create a longer, fuller pony look that’s posh, pretty, and perfect for your next party.
Pony Up Tutorial via Happi.com
If you’ve made last minute plans to attend a holiday party but find your hair a mess, or if you’re stressing over how to leave the office for a hair appointment in the middle of your crazy holiday schedule…You can still get fancy and fabulous in a flash! Expert stylist and braid specialist Dana Tizzio suggests a “face forward” DIY ‘do and accent braid to dress up your look for an elegant occasion. What better way to accessorize than with a pretty plait – especially when there’s no time needed to prep your hair for the look? Dana’s life-saving holiday styling tip is something we all need to carry in our back pocket. It’s just as simple to achieve as it is stunning!
Even if the winter weather has made your hair dry, frizzy, or flat – or when you’ve skipped a day since your last shampoo – there’s no reason to let your hair’s condition stop you from getting glam on your time. This quick upstyle is ideal for “last minute” or on-the-go emergencies because you don’t even need a hairbrush to complete this look! All that is required to go from boring-to-black-tie can be placed at the bottom of your bag or clutch: a few pins, hair ties, and a mini/travel-sized version of your favorite dry shampoo/texturizing spray (something we never ever leave the house without anyway!)… And if you’re lucky, a fabulous pair of earrings or a shiny choker necklace is also in your reach to top off the look! (All jewelry on Dana by NYC’s Jaline Design.)
1. Section 1/4 hair from side part to ear, and add Shu Uemura “Texture Wave” spray for volume.
2. Start braid at part, focusing braid at the very front of forehead. Secure end with elastic.
3. Spritz more “Texture Wave” spray throughout hair. This helps enhance texture for easier styling and will keep everything in place better for the long haul.
4. Without brushing, twist all of hair to the side of braid and secure with elastic to create a ponytail.
5. Braid ponytail, including the front braid, and secure ends with an elastic. (It does not need to be tight.)
6. Hold one piece of the braid at the end with one hand. With the other hand, push entire braid upward from the bottom with your fingers to create “rouge” effect. Wrap braid and shape into a knot. Nestle it off to one side for the best look. (You want this to be a focal point!)
7. Secure with bobby pins, and use the hair pins to manage any loose ends. You can either embrace the bobby pins by creating a design to compliment your style, or make sure to place them strategically so that they are hidden.
8. Loosen the front of the braid and work your way back. For results that will beautifully frame your face, widen from the start of the braid and continue to pull hair apart gently on each section. This will create a softer and more romantic, evening-ready braided look.
“Whether you’re a professional girl or a party girl this is a service that works for everyone…”
Min Kim, master color specialist/L’Oreal Professionnel artist, shows us that there can never be a dull moment for your hair when you choose balayage. Through this customized painting service, Min takes summery gold strands to a more seasonally appropriate snow bunny blonde. Watch how she paints her way through her client’s last balayage service from SEVEN months ago to evolve the tone with newly added low lights and face-framing highlights that are perfect for enhancing anyone’s winter style or special holiday ‘do. With this refreshed and equally low-maintenance look, hair color can stay bright all season long and transition beautifully into 2015!
(Original story at According To Dawn)
Winter Balayage @ Butterfly Studio Salon via Kissi Media.
If you’re all for adding a vintage touch to your layered winter look, or if you’ve got your heart set on going retro glam for the holidays, then you will be excited to try this easy hair idea from stylist Amanda Colihan, which will bring a touch of mod and a whole lot of chic to your styling game!
When we want to add flair, we add volume… But it’s not always easy to determine if we’ve done it right – or if we’ve gone too far into the sixties! Follow these steps to create a sexy style that will give your hair a boost while keeping your look modern and minimalistic. If you can’t get enough of wearing your hair down, the good news is you can stick to your lengths and sexy blow out for this look because this sultry ‘do embraces loose, long strands. All you will need is just a few pins, a little product, and hello, Brigitte Bardot!
Via Happi.com: Butterfly Studio showcases an easy, stylish hair look for the holiday season straight off the runway.
When it comes to beauty, it isn’t too common to hear the term “glaçage.” Most often used in the dessert world, the French term translates to “glaze” or “glazing.” That’s why it shouldn’t come as a surprise to learn that the new Kérastase Thermiques are like icing on the cake when glazed onto our hair. They are hair primers that should be used as a follow up to your favorite shampoo and conditioner on clean, wet hair. These paraben-free products are lightweight and coat the hair to protect and polish when warmed, so you will need to bring the hot tools out in order to get the best results. Your hair’s surface is protected once heat activates your Thermique’s mojo and then you’re on your way to maximum smoothness, movement, and a glossy finish! And if you need another reason to make it the building block for your blow out routine, then you should know that any one of the three varieties will help cut down your blow dry time and result in 85% less breakage from blowdrying!
All three stylers fight frizz, add shine, create softness, and offer humidity protection. To customize your hair’s daily needs, go green to give life to weakened hair with Ciment Thermique, replenish dry hair with creamy orange Nectar Thermique, or smooth with pink Keratine Thermique to help tame unmanageable textures.
Did you know that wrinkles account for only 5% of your face? It’s the other 95% that actually makes you look older. It’s enlarged pores, surface oils, dulling dead skin cells, and so much more. The BeautyRx Peel treats that 95% and gives you the younger and healthier looking skin you want.
Dr. Neal Schultz has a thriving Park Avenue practice where he sees over 10,000 patient visits per year. Now his most renowned “Lunchtime Peel” – a two minute skin fix that delivers glowing, gorgeous skin (without any downtime or irritation) – is now available at Butterfly Studio Salon every Tuesday thru Saturday…
There’s a reason that Dr. Schultz has performed over 50,000 peels; it’s so effective and gentle that even brides come to the office for a treatment on the day of their wedding. The Peel delivers gorgeous, glowing skin while helping to treat acne breakouts, even skin tone, and minimize the appearance of pores – making the need for makeup minimal. After getting the superior exfoliation that only The Peel Bar can offer, your skin will never feel softer or smoother!
Price: $50 || Kindly book your appointment in advance at 212.253.2100
Tues. 12 – 7p
Wed. 9 – 5p
Thurs. 12 – 7p
Fri. 12 – 7p
Sat. 9 – 5p
>> Read recent press and rave reviews about The Peel Bar!
Your next beauty service can help make a difference so get glam for a great cause! Make time for a little self-maintenance on Sunday 10/26 and help women battling cancer fight back! Book a service on our special day of beauty and enjoy brunch cocktails, light refreshments, and cupcakes by Magnolia Bakery. Bring your hubby, kids, BFF, family or make it a special day for a survivor… Just don’t forget to strike a pose at our photobooth!
Online donations will also be accepted thru October.
For a full list of how you can participate this month, visit our Butterfly Gives Back official page.
Color by Joanna Gonzalez. Styling & Quotes by Jason J Dougherty.
Fall in line with autumn’s naturally favorite shade. RED! Or maybe you should leave it to the stars to inspire you with fall’s big color? The total lunar eclipse turned the sky blood red in October, and we took note. When the moon passed completely through Earth’s dark shadow, the moon gradually got darker during this type of eclipse and then took on a rusty, or bloody red hue. This influenced color expert Joanna Gonzalez to partner with stylist Jason J Dougherty and take on a stellar new hairstyle idea straight from mother nature!
Total Hair Eclipse
Get hot with red copper hair and glow in the moonlight with the “it” color and a rockin’ new cut!
WHY: Add sass to your everyday style with ravishing rouged lengths and ride the new wave with an undone texture or finish with a smooth and straight 60’s feel.
BEST FOR: The outspoken girl; when you want to “start fresh;” or the woman who just started landed her dream career. It’s also perfect for anyone looking to make a bold fashion statement.
FASHION INSPIRATION: Mod, rocker chic, femme fatale. She’s come undone but is completely put together!
ABOUT THE COLOR:
Color expert Joanna Gonzalez says…”For those who prefer their style a little edgy, this is the perfect way to spice up your hair and bring out your rock and roll personality for fall. Turn warm reds and deeper tones up a notch with a fiery crimson color and add balayage to break up the layers and bring out the movement of the cut. It’s a no-brainer to pair with your fall darks and all black wardrobe and to transform those with fair skin and light complexions. One thing is certain…it will bring out the color of the eyes! To keep your red color looking fresh, Oribe’s Beautiful Color line is a must!”
The winds also pick up this season, causing the leaves to just about come undone from the trees. Make styling in the mornings just as easy with stylist Jason J Dougherty’s simple “undone” hair trick. This combo braiding and flat-iron technique will have you singing Beyonce’s ‘I woke up like this!”
1. Blowdry hair smooth with a little Gold Lust Oil from Oribe
2. Now divide hair into about 6 sections and do a 6 quick braids.
3. Spray with a light hairspray (Superfine from Oribe)
4. Take a flatiron and go over braid a few times.
5. Take out braid, Spray with Après Beach from Oribe, use hands and lightly scrunch, keep layering with Spray and using hands to separate.
Follow: @JasonJDougherty and @JoannaGonzalez_colorist
Makeup – Cristina Marroquin // Photography – Edwin Pabon
When the last thing you want (or can) do is your hair, make a fast upstyle your go-to. During a recent episode of the Better Show, Butterfly senior stylist Jill Engelsen shared her no-effort styling tips and demonstrated two great base looks that serve as a quick fix for unwashed or unruly hair. Give these chic, quick updo styles a try and say goodbye to the basic, boring ponytail for good!
(Makeup on Jill and models by Kate Plec)
Jill Engelsen’s Updo Step-By-Steps
Image courtesy of Better Show
1. Start with dry shampoo at the roots to take some second-day oil away.
2. Brush out bangs and fan across forehead on a piece manner.
3. Start a 2 strand twist on the side of her head and pin as you go. Repeat the same on the other side. Gather the two twists and twist up and pin in the back center of the head.
4. Finish with a light hairspray.
Image courtesy of Better Show
1. Start with either dry shampoo or dry texturizing spray at her root to give it more volume or to take oil away.
2. Part the hair where desired, and gather into a low ponytail in the back. Then spray the pony tail with dry texturizing spray.
3. Braid the pony tail and secure the end with an elastic. Then pull apart the braid.
4. Spread and place the braid onto the nape area of the head and pin as you go to create a controlled, messy up style. Finish with hairspray, shine spray and pomade (on the part for flyways).
Hair & Quotes by Jason J Dougherty | Butterfly Studio Stylist
Fall fashion is BIG on volume. It’s also a season to start rocking layered clothing. More is more, so why not add another layer to your hair with a braid that is right in line with abundance and flow? This perfect-for-fall hairstyle offers a delicate balance of both braided statement and swooping effect around the side of the face. The end result mixes flowing feminine hair with a bold braid and an ample supply of volume!
Bountiful Harvest Braid
A half-up inverted braid with a twist that “harvests” both volume and style!
WHY: Rock this season’s “big” trend in a braid that adds big layers to compliment fall’s layered looks.
BEST FOR: The girl with a lot of hair, texture that is “Too thick for a braid,” and the girl who needs to add some volume to a classic look.
FASHION INSPIRATION: 60’s Folk, The Rocker, The Hippie, The Yogi. Or, make it your weekend look.
This braid gives the girl with thick, hard-to-braid hair a break by slitting her hair between a braid and strands that elegantly flow off to the side to balance out the bounty of hair. It also functions for the girl who has less of a “hair-harvest” but wants a fuller hair effect. To get the best look, braid the hair on a side-angle, allowing the remaining hair to create a side swooping element. This adds the illusion of extra volume and an added “layer.”
Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest
Makeup – Cristina Marroquin // Photography – Edwin Pabon