The inspiration for this versatile shoulder-length hairstyle idea is Kim Kardashian’s new lob. Since most of us are a little scared of going too short in one shot, master stylist Nicole Descoteaux compromised on leaving some length. “I cut the back shorter than the front, which is the classic idea of a lob and what separates it from being a regular bob look…”
For more of a statement, Nicole decided to keep the bangs a little longer, too. “I’m sort of into the grown out little bang look that’s on trend now,” she says. Styling was all about working with the interior layers of the mid-length cut using the hair’s natural texture. Super simple! To top off the fresh feeling of sexy hair, makeup master Francesca Roman combined a mix of sultry and nude to create a gorgeous glow with softly glossed lips.
Words from Taylor Brock, stylist and treatment specialist:
With new additions to Chronologiste’s in-salon caviar pearl ritual and the introduction of an at-home regimen, “the finest haircare treatment ever created by Kérastase” has just gone up another level…
Chronologiste is considered to be the ultimate deep-conditioning treatment for all hair types because it contains the most active ingredients ever offered by Kérastase. The new and improved version now offers a renewing pre-shampoo hair treatment that targets the scalp to receive specialized stabilization and repair. A healthy scalp allows hair follicles to produce easier, therefore resulting in faster hair growth. But the science doesn’t stop there – the product also works as a super hair primer, opening up your hair to grab as much of the treatment as possible to enable top notch revitalization. Also new to the line is the nutrient-packed shampoo and conditioner, directly inspired by the transformative treatment we’ve come to know and love. And don’t forget the nourishing Chronologiste oil fragrance, your last step styler for adding shine and softness. Regardless of the vitamins, moisture, strength and antioxidant properties found in this complete treatment system – the scent alone is enough to get you hooked. It will leave you asking, “Why can’t everything smell like this?” The bottom line is, when hair gets compromised on any level, there’s nothing better at reviving it than Chronologiste. The results were amazing before but the new additions will make you a groupie!
Check it out, Chronologiste speaks for itself…
Congratulations to new Butterfly stylist Jennifer Penny for earning her expert chair – and her place among the ranks of the city’s top hair professionals! While training under Butterfly’s senior eductators, Jennifer’s talent and eye for beauty has already landed her placements in both print and online publications such as Newsday and AMNY! Browse tabs below to view highlights of her work…
(For bookings, kindly contact reception at 212.253.2100)
Stylist Jason J Dougherty worked backstage at Ranfan – where the look was all about making a strong statement with sleek, low ponytails and bold center parts. Yarok organic hair products were used to get the shiny, slicked back look just right.
Congratulations to our color mavens on their next career step as Butterfly hair color experts! To book an appointment for all over color, highlights, balayage, or color correction contact us at 212.253.2100.
(Click images to see each gorgeous makeover in full view)
Next Page — View Tamara’s Recent Work
(Image: Daily Look)
No Valentine’s Day, romantic date, or special occasion is ever complete without the perfect evening outfit. That’s why we turned to the fabulous Tisa Monét – Butterfly’s education/business development manager and fashionista (known as The Gold Curve) – who gave us all the right advice with an easy fashion guide for date night! “The Little Black Dress is synonymous with chic and sexy,” says Tisa. “It’s the one statement piece that works for any Butterfly babe – and it also makes the man in your life feel extremely special when he sees you in a LBD!”
Here are her flirty outfit ideas featuring LBDs and other items chosen from dailylook.com….
“The perfect look for a classic Valentine’s Day night, including a romantic dinner in the city!”
Sultry Mesh Panel Bodycon Dress
Giles & Brother Mini Pied De Biche Bracelet
Chinese Laundry Lace Jeopardy Heels
Classic Leatherette Clutch
“A textured and chic LBD, finished with a red lip is sure to give your man butterflies!”
BB Dakota Branson Dress
Kapowski Vegan Leather Shoulder Bag
Finely Contoured Midi Ring Set
Everyday Bangle Bracelet Set
Chinese Laundry Jinxy Booties
“Classic will always be in style, but sometimes it’s good to change it up. Flaunt your curves in a fashionable romper! Perfect for your next all-girls night, when you’re going out for cocktails and dancing.”
(and so on when you mix and match!)
Three Of Something Tidal Playsuit
STYLESTALKER Love Story Jumpsuit
Lovers + Friends My Way Jumpsuit
Modern Vice Ghillie Heels
Heart Soul Patricia Heel
Chinese Laundry Jinxy Booties
Hair & Quotes by Jason J Dougherty | Butterfly Studio Stylist
The Top Knot Bun is the best accessory to showcase with your fashionable evening attire. This regal and sophisticated look will make any girl feel as striking and powerful as royalty. When the hair is pulled in tight off the neck, it allows the eye to be drawn to the supple curves of the female body. During the season when your look needs to be the most polished and glamorous (think romantic outings, formal parties, and award ceremonies), the Top Knot(ch) Bun will help you achieve the perfect “Knock ‘Em Dead” look for all fancy, festive, or fashionable occasions that come your way!
Polished and sleek knot hairstyle.
WHY WE LOVE IT: This look was seen at fashion houses from Altuzarra, Carolina Herrera, to Jean Paul Gaultier. It’s the perfect look for any party or black tie event this winter!
BEST FOR: The woman whom wants to make all eyes turns when she enters the room. She embraces her femininity yet exudes confidence, expressed by this dramatic statement.
WHEN AND “WEAR”: Formal Attire, Sophisticated Date, Weddings, Red Carpet. Pair with gowns, dress pants, power blazer – or a draped, flowing look.
TIPS & TRICKS:
1. Use a little hair oil (Oribe Gold Lust) and blowdry hair until smooth.
2. Flat iron the hair to get it more sleek and shiny.
3. Mix a generous amount of pomade and oil in your hands and apply through the hair. (Try Shu Uemura’s Shape Paste and Oribe’s Gold Lust)
4. Use a Mason Pearson Brush and smooth out the hair, brushing taught into a high ponytail.
5. Create a loose braid and wrap it around into your desired knot shape.
6. Anchor with hairpins and spray with a hairspray such as Superfine from Oribe.
We’ve all experienced a styling dilemma after an hour at the gym… It’s either major frizz at the front of your hairline – or your hair gets so sweaty that it becomes near impossible to leave without washing it first. Then you realize you have only 20 minutes to get to work, so what do you do? The good news is that there are some quick fixes that won’t make you sweat over that messy hair look… Stylist Dana Tizzio shares her tips for cleaning up your flat or frizzy gym hair so you can skip the shampoo and hit the town sooner!
Products and tools to have in your gym bag (or when you’re in a time crunch):
– Bobby pins (standard and U-shaped)
– A few small elastics and a big one to tie a pony or to hold up a bun
– Touché Finale serum by Kerastase to smooth and shine
– Kerastase Form Fatale to use as a light hold gel
– Oribe Impermeable anti-humidity spray which will work as your hairspray
*Carry compact shapes and travel-sizes so they can fit in almost anything!
If you’re looking for a way to define your ringlets and make your curls shine, it doesn’t get more beautiful, more fun, or even more customizable than balayage highlights. This versatile method of coloring is a match for enhancing the look of curly hair for hair lengths short, medium, and long. In fact, it’s a great alternative for trying something new in the middle of a grow out – or when you just want to freshen up a specific style or haircut you’re already happy with. (It also offers a way to reinvent yourself when you don’t have the inches of hair to loose!) Color expert Faye Coronado explains, “When you create a look with balayage on curly or wavy hair, it becomes all about playing with the curls to accentuate the cut and natural texture as much as possible with the color.” By adding dimension to any hairstyle, balayage better shapes the look of your curls.
“I chose to frame the face and brighten Cortney up for the winter by adding hues of gold and honey throughout her curls,” says Faye. “These warm tones highlight her skin and draw attention to her gorgeous blue eyes.” If your curls are ready for a glam makeover, pick warm and toasty or go for more towards an icy, platinum touch. There’s also the new Ecaille trend which pairs sun-kissed ends in gold and caramel tones with darker, more natural looking roots. “Balayage becomes the most customized accessory for a woman, which she can continue evolving into the tastes and trends of the new year. Or, you can opt for not much upkeep at all since it’s one of the most low maintenance hair color choices out there!” Balayage can even benefit the gals who prefer to tame their curls by wearing the hair up and away from the face. Whether you choose loose, full, cropped, twisted, braided, wrapped or pinned hair – the addition of balayage adds extra shimmer and flair to make a style more unique. The results glisten when the light hits your strands so even the most simple looks are never boring!
Stop by to sip on a “greentini” and explore healthy options for your body, hair, and skin! Learn how to live healthier, smarter, and more beautifully in just one night with ALOHA foods & supplements, THE PEEL BAR by BeautyRx Skincare, The Bar Method NYC, and Butterfly’s expert styling team…
– Win a complimentary blow out and express hair treatment! Raffles will be held every 15 minutes.
– Complimentary Glycolic Facial Peel – first come, first serve.
– Offer from The Bar Method: 30 day trial, only $100!
– Receive 10% off when you shop our healthy brands and product recommendations.
– Customize your own beauty box of 3 or more health & wellness products and receive a voucher for a customized deep-conditioning treatment on your next visit.
– Take home a healthy goody bag for attending!
Read the online article.
Makeup: Cristina Marroquin; Hair: Jill Engelsen; Photos: Caroline Voagen Nelson.
Can’t stop thinking about actress Jessica Chastain’s coffee-colored smoky eyes and angled shadow from the Golden Globes? Now you can take the stunning look that walked the carpet and master it at home with these tips by makeup artist Cristina Marroquin! (We’ve got this combination of beautiful brown and shimmery chocolate in a winged eye shape at the top of our list for Valentine’s Day!)
How to Get the Perfect Winged Smoky Eye Every Time via PopSugar:
Step 1: Prime Time
When doing a smoky eye, always start with shadow first — even before foundation. To begin, apply primer to the eye area to balance out redness and create an even tone. “You must prepare the skin first,” Marroquin said. “Just like on a canvas, you paint primer first.” Next, dust on a light, neutral eye shadow all over lids to create a base. Choose a shade similar to your natural skin tone.
Step 2: Smoke Signals
Top the neutral shadow with a dark-brown shade from lash line to crease, leaving the inner corners clear. Use a shadow brush with a flat edge to help create the winged shape of the shadow. Then, blend with a fluffier, domed tool.
Step 3: Black Out
Layer a black shadow on top of the brown. Focus the darker color just around the lash line, along the outer corner, and in the crease. Extend the black shadow color down to the lower lash line, stopping about two-thirds in. This leaves the area around the tear duct clear.
Step 4: Wings Up
As the final step for the eye makeup, draw in the wing with a metallic gray shadow. Use a straight-edged piece of paper to get the perfect angle that follows the curve of the lower lash line. You can use a makeup-removing oil or serum to gently erase any mistakes and sharpen the lines before coating the top and bottom lashes in mascara.
Step 5: Finishing Touches
Now that the smoky eye is complete, apply concealer and foundation. Then add color to the cheeks and lips. Marroquin layered two separate blushes — a bright pink shade followed by a bronze natural tone for a lit-from-within flush. Finally, apply a muted pink lipstick and swipe on a matching gloss.
To complete your sexy eye look, senior stylist Jill Engelsen recommends adding a touch of Old Hollywood glam with soft, sideswept waves. For a look that’s more modern and less retro, keep curls loose and easy. The hairstyle will feel elegant and pulled together while keeping your overall vibe classy and effortless.
Change does not have to be complicated – or boring! It’s time to start over and love yourself!
1. LOOK YOUNGER IN MINUTES. As seen in January’s issue of Harper’s Bazaar: “Improve your skin while getting your hair done! Check out the BeautyRx Peel Bar at Butterfly Studio, where you can experience dermatologist Neal Shultz’s 40 percent glycolic acid peel.” For a limited-time only, the treatment is just $39 so sign up for smoother, glowier skin – and get it in a New York Minute!
2. GIVE “GREEN JUICE” AN UPGRADE. Beauty and wellness starts from within, so why not enhance yourself with a boost from ALOHA’s powerful Daily Good Greens? Simply stir a pack into your shake, sprinkle onto your yogurt – or for the purist at heart, mix a pack with bottled or coconut water to take on-the-go. You can even add the greens to your salad dressing or a healthy recipe, so there is plenty of room to be creative!
3. DARE-TO-WEAR, A-LIST HAIR. There’s currently one thing that Hollywood and the chic New York chick have in common: Short hair. We know you’ve been eyeing a shorter look, so why not change it up? The start of a new year is the perfect time to sport a cropped haircut and embrace that sexy, shaggy texture before the hair trend becomes even hotter this Spring.
4. DON’T GET STUCK IN A MAKEUP RUT. Want to learn that editorial or celebrity look? How about a tutorial on airbrushed skin or face-slimming contouring? Schedule a makeup lesson with our beauty experts to brush up on the newest application techniques and learn the pro tricks for becoming a master of the makeup bag!
5. BUMP UP THE BRIGHTNESS. Our trend-savvy color experts are turning up the shine with L’Oreal Professional’s latest ammonia-free hues. Warm up your shade with a bit of balayage, or get your tone on with a bronzed brunette or brilliant crimson. For the at-home solution gals, Shu Uemura’s new Color Lustre collection is a must try. This superior treatment system brings color-treated manes back to life and into the spotlight!
6. PURIFY YOUR SKIN. Slough away signs of the winter weather and reveal a cleaner, healthier complexion with Butterfly’s all-natural “Skin Perfecting Facial.” Joanna Vargas’ renowned techniques and healthy skincare shine during this tranquil service with esthetician Cristina Marroquin. Just relax while we renew!
7. DON’T SWEAT YOUR WORKOUT. If you’re looking for a way to get lean and tone your body without breaking a sweat, there are just three word to get familiar with: The Bar Method. Time and time again, “Bar” tops our favorites list for its unconventional and fun fitness routines which quickly get us into shape. It’s the fastest way to get rid of flab and get back to feeling trim. It works!
8. TRANSFORMATION TIME. When hair becomes dehydrated, it’s a hint to treat our hair a little nicer. Completely transform your tired look and replenish hair by choosing one of our expert-recommended treatments – be it an in-salon service like Chronologiste, or a take-away treatment such as Home Lab or a hydrating hair mask.
9. LEARN A LITTLE (OR A LOT!) The shortest road to better hair days is with knowledge. Stop by for a blow dry and get invaluable styling advice customized specifically for your hair type. Our hair specialists will show you anything from up-to-date tips for an entirely new blow out to the proper use and cleaning of tools for maintaining a smart styling station at home.
10. MAKE HEALTHIER CHOICES. If your 2015 goals include watching your diet, then take your pick from Aloha’s tasty Protein Shakes. These satisfying organic beverages are full of good-for-you, non-GMO ingredients that don’t require a blender to enjoy. Bring these healthy meals with you so you can eat good and feel good wherever you go!
Hair: Jill Engelsen; Makeup: Cristina Marroquin; Photos: Caroline Voagen Nelson.
How to Get the Milkmaid Braid Right Off the Golden Globes Red Carpet via PopSugar:
Update your plait with a glamorous milkmaid style braid and get yourself on the best dressed list at your next event! Senior stylist Jill Engelsen shows us how to achieve a trendy braided updo inspired by Golden Globe winner Joanne Froggatt at home…
Step 1: Blow-Dry
Begin by applying dry texturizing spray to the hair from roots to midshaft, and blow-dry the product into the hair for a smooth finish. Using a round brush, give the crown of the hair extra volume. To prevent tangles, Engelsen recommends putting the blow dryer down altogether.
“Set the blow dryer down, take a section at the top of your head where you want the volume, and place your round brush into the base of the hair, going away from your face,” she explained. “Then pick up the blow dryer and move the nozzle with the brush all the way to the ends.”
Step 2: Tease
Create a middle part, but don’t worry if it’s not quite straight. Follow the natural flow of your hair to get a less-than-formal fringe. Use a fine-tooth comb to create a zigzaggy part half an inch from the hairline on both sides of the center part. Pin away these bangs.
Back-comb hair starting at the hairline and working back to the nape in an alternating pattern, as if you were laying tile. “[Teasing] creates volume and a grip for the bobby pins when you put the braid on top,” Engelsen said. Once you’ve teased the entire back section, smooth all the hair back using a bristle brush.
Step 3: Pigtails
Make a diagonal part from the top right to the bottom left of the larger section using just your fingers. You eventually want this part to disappear, so using a comb would make it too stark. Secure two separate pigtails with an elastic that matches your hair color.
Step 4: Plait
Apply more dry texture spray to the lengths of each pony, and then braid. As you go, pause periodically to loosen the plait to get a fuller, more textured milkmaid. Secure the ends with an elastic.
Step 5: Smooth
Using the long end of a rattail comb, lift the hair at the crown to make sure the lifted portion is even and the part is invisible. Then, smooth the section down and apply a wax to tame flyaways. This section should be sleek in comparison to the mussed-up braids.
Step 6: Pin
Flip the left braid up and cross it over the base of the right braid. Use bobby pins to secure the braid above the ear and over the hairline. Repeat on the other side. Where the ends meet front and center, tuck the elastics underneath the braid to create a seamless crown.
Makeup artist Cristina Marroquin recommends pairing your braided updo with a makeup look that places a bold focus on just one feature. For our shoot, Cristina chose the eyes. She kept it simple with classic black liquid liner, taupe gloss, and fresh, even skin to match. Enhancing the eyebrows is also an important touch when wearing you hair up. Fill in color with a brow pencil then brush to give your brows a deeper, natural-looking definition.
Recreate Joanne Froggatt’s braid with these steps!
If you’re looking for a way out of mundane hair styling days, there’s just one simple (yet surprising) solution: Lose the length. From the long list of short hair debuts on celebrities to the many customized ways shorter styles are evolving recently, it’s hard not to opt for the crop!
“Short hair is really hot right now, complimenting women of all ages,” says master stylist Kattia Solano, “The short look of today is classic yet modern – and the style has a simplicity that I love!” Most people find themselves gravitating towards cleaner, shorter hairstyles than ever before – even if the length is somewhat out of their comfort zone. Kattia says, “Make no mistake about it, a short haircut is a very striking look that will turns heads. Women will notice it and wish they can have it, or just wish they would have the guts to do it!”
The lines of a short crop are simple but very powerful because it exposes your neck – a very sexy part of a woman! Cropped hair also opens up your face to show off your sexiest facial features, such as the jaw bone. Will you have your crop moment in early 2015? We say the cold season is by far the best for trying something on the shorter side… After all, short hair is a fabulous accessory for all those chunky sweaters and bulky scarfs we’re wearing now! The absence of humid, frizzy hair days that come with warmer weather is also a styling plus. A shorter length is easy to maintain and comes with a versatility that’s hard not to love.
“You can style it straight and sleek or a little messy and wavy. Wearing it straight is more classic. Wavy tells a whole different story…” Whether you choose just a little bit of bend in your styling, “cool” and relaxed waves, or defined party waves – the look can transform from fashion forward and feminine to playful and trendy. From “model” to “new mom,” this haircut will leave you bold babes out there beaming with confidence and major sex appeal! A short cropped look such as the one pictured here by Kattia, best compliments fine to medium thickness and textures ranging from straight to wavy hair types. For the best results, try Kattia’s pro trick: “I like to cut the back with a razor to create a very soft line that blends and gives the look of perfect movement. Then I finish the sides with my shears to give a more defined line.”
Reinvent sexy, bold eye makeup for your New Year’s bash or a wintertime party by adding an eyeshadow with sparkle or high shimmer. Master makeup artist Francesca Roman recommends using “it” colors of the current season such as burgundy, browns, and bronzed tones. “Warm tones are a fun alternative to the traditional black or charcoal gray smoky eye.” For more ways to step up your smoky eyes, follow Francesca’s steps below…
#01- Start with defined and groomed brows and apply a shimmery shade of Cream Eye Shadow. Smooth on using one to two fingertips first. It’s a much easier way to blend and achieve the perfect smokey eyed application. You have more control, and without the use of multiple brushes, there’s no mess or fuss!
02- Use your brush tool next. Just one is all you need! When using a brush with cream shadow, choose a short bristle brush for bolder strokes and for contrast and definition. Do not use a long fluffy brush. Apply to upper lash line and also along lower lids.
#03- Continuing the smoky eye effect… Use a kohl liner on the inside of your eye’s water line and underneath. Use the same small bristle brush to blend. Blending is the key to your best smoky eyes!
#04- Apply mascara to top and bottom lids before applying false eye lashes.
#05- Though optional, a lush pair of lashes are a great way to maximize your party-ready eye makeup. Adding false eye lashes will add a more dramatic va-va-voom to help dress up your look.
TIP: Use tweezers to move your lashes easily and place them with precision. Then use fingers for adjustments and apply a light pressure to set.
#06- Always add concealer under eyes last. This finishing touch will brighten and deliver those neat, professional results. Your eye area will look and feel fresh and illuminated!
TIP: Remember… It is very important to clean up as you go along. Just because it’s a “smoky” eye, doesn’t mean it should be runny or messy!
Bring your sparkly eye look forward with face-framed bangs or sweep hair back into a simple ‘do to keep the overall look clean and focused on the eye area. Keep cheeks more natural and as for lips, the green light is on to make a statement with brighter lipstick. Just make sure the color choice compliments the hues of your eye shadow. When in doubt, a light pink or nude is a soft and pretty pair for sultry, shimmery colored lids!
Master color specialist Min Kim has recently created a new shade of wine-inspired crimson that’s just to die for! Below, Min explains how to transition old highlights and achieve a red ombre that will warm up your winter locks and make your personal sense of style all the rage in the new year… Make this balayage hair idea your own with a customized red wine hue and shine on!
A beautiful red is the perfect choice to warm up your insides AND your summery highlights…As the weather chills out many turn to richer more vibrant colors to warm up their pale wintery skin. Those with hair on the lighter side (your ends turn golden in the sun) should stick to copper and lighter shades of red vs. their darker cousins (your ends turn shades of red- chestnut, copper, auburn) that should stick with deeper versions of red (picture the different types of red wines- some are redder and some have a deeper violety tone).
To refresh old summer highlights or overdue color, the chosen shade of red can be painted on using the Balayage method of highlighting to connect the regrowth and create a subtle transition from new to old. The ends are then saturated with the same red color or a slightly lighter shade to create a Pinot Noir inspired Ombre. Follow up with another visit in 3 weeks to maintain the vibrancy as red has a tendency to fade out, especially in previously highlighted hair.
And a word to the wise.. put away your new or white towels and grab your older darker ones in case some of the dye should bleed out (it happens!). Don’t forget to use a color safe shampoo that isn’t going to strip away your investment! I’m obsessed with Shu Uemura’s Color Lustre. Not only is it sulfate free, it also leaves hair feeling silky and super shiny!
Before, during, and after…
Dress up with a fabulous fishtail and a single statement earring! Set yourself apart from all of the blown out waves in the room with these fishtail braiding tips by stylist Dana Tizzio…
1. For a better braiding base, start with textured hair. Use your 1 inch curling wand and set the entire head in small sections.
2. Make sure that your braid stays put all night long by applying a texturizing wave spray such as Oribe’s “Dry.”
3. Decide on your hair part and pull your lengths over to the side it feels most natural to braid on.
4. Split hair in two sections. Put a little pomade on your hands first and run it thru for extra shine. This will help keep your layers inside the braid.
5. Begin your fishtail by taking a little section from behind one half of your parted hair and pull towards the other section. Then take hair from that section (another chunk from behind) and pull it towards the first section. Keep tension in the ENTIRE time or the braid will get loose and fall out.
6. Continue your fishtail braid down to the ends and use a small elastic to tie and secure.
7. Loosen the braid and make it your own by softly pulling at the fishtail with your fingertips. And remember…Undone is the new done up!
Makeup by master artist Francesca Roman
Our salon founder and master stylist lists what you should always pack for your holiday away or when you vacation to a beachy resort destination…
Travel-size Hair Essentials: Your hair will need as much moisture as it can get when spending time in the sun and exposed to the elements. Leave in hair treatment oil for nourishment, Moisturizing shampoo & conditioner for soft hair (effective enough to treat the hair but not too heavy weight), Beach wave spray for shine and texture, Non-sticky dry shampoo spray for definition, hold, & refreshed volume (skip the hairspray) and a must for curly textures… Curl gloss (non-sticky gel) to enhance the look of wave structure and provide humidity protection to help your curls last without the fuzz.
– Mason Pearson Brush for detangling in the shower, smooth styling touches, and upstyle days.
– Joanna Vargas Rejuvenating Serum for the face. Fatty acids help fight wrinkles and replenish your skin from sun damage by promoting cell renewal. A must for every day of your trip, morning and night.
– Hair ties in different sizes and widths – it’s important to pack a variety for your changing texture and needs during your trip. I always pack options to be one step ahead.
– Tinted Moisturizer. Laura Mercier is amazing for that natural, dewy glow!
– A color blush and contour duo (two-in-one for space saving) such as the best-selling NARS palette
– YSL Concealer stick for on-the-go touchups and brightening
– 1 basic black eyeliner and 1 fun colored liner (there is so much you can create with just the combination of the two. Single wear, double up on the same line, alternate top and bottom colors, etc)
– 1 Bright Matte Lip Color (You can also pack a moisturizing, colorless gloss for versatile results and a change in finish)
– Lash curler and mascara. Even if I do nothing else I will always at least curl my lashes and apply one mascara coat for a more fresh, awake look.
– An all-natural sunscreen/broad spectrum SPF is a must for full body coverage (hands, feet, chest – everywhere) and hair protection before even stepping foot outdoors. You will most likely be traveling with a mini size so it’s very handy to take with you as you will need to reapply!
-Pack a hair mask treatment however possible for styling and a post-swimming treatment for fatigued, dry hair. Luckily Oribe purse size products offer UVA/UVB filters for lasting sun protection which will help you beat any harsh drying effects on the hair.
Great makeup techniques and stylish colors of the moment to achieve party-ready glamorous gold eyes for a festive occasion and a modern look inspired by the splash and style of this year’s resort season.
Give your hair a break during the cooler months with an anything-but-boring brunette color! A rich chocolatey brown – similar to the seasonal delicious cup of hot cocoa – is a beautiful choice for winter. “Chocolate brown tones have just the right balance of cool and warm tones to create a brunette hue that mixes depth and richness, so the results won’t ever look flat or hollow,” explains color specialist Faye Coronado. “It’s a very flattering shade for olive complexions.” Our expert colorist created the gorgeous cocoa brown hue pictured, which has a hint of red that gives a gorgeous shimmer when a beam of light strikes the color. It’s just enough to create a subtle yet striking enhancement that does its part to decorate your mane.
Dark locks always look best when the shade is more natural. It should keep people guessing, “Did she or didn’t she?” A unique touch of customization is required to get there, making it somewhat difficult to achieve your best brown shade at home. Faye advises keeping your skin tone and eye color in mind when making your decision… “Dark complexions tend to compliment warmer, richer brunette tones such as the chocolate brown. Lighter skin tones and cooler eyes, such as shades of blue and gray, work nicely with deep neutral browns. And very dark brunettes should stick with an icy undertone.” For color that stays true to tone longer, make sure an extra boost of moisture and shine becomes a daily part of your hair regimen. This is particularly important when it’s cold out, but color is also known to keep better overall on healthy and nourished hair.
Beautiful brunette also means that you can amp up your makeup game! And if it’s wintertime, you have full range to play with deeper shades. You can feel more confident about pulling off those bolder, darker colors – especially on the lips. Cranberry, plums, and wines are always a favorite during the holiday season. And if you’re not a lipstick statement kind of girl, try similar shades on your lids for a colored smokey eye. You can even get graphic with your liquid liner and create a more striking eye makeup look.
During the holiday season, we all look for ways to shine. Even men seek a hair look that can take their winter wardrobe up a notch. For the Butterfly guys that need to clean up, or for those who want to amp it up, our best hair tip is NOT to shy away from hair product. The right products become particularly important when you want to add volume and keep your hairstyle looking full and fresh. When stylist Jason J Dougherty wants to rock his favorite tie and put his best self forward, he turns to a combination of Oribe haircare essentials to help him suit up and achieve a style that is equal parts cool and sophisticated. Read on to learn Jason’s easy steps for nailing a classic yet modern men’s hairstyle that would get a seal of approval from GQ Magazine. Channel your inner Don Draper and try it yourself to impress during the holidays, and welcome the new year with cool!
1. Start with clean, just washed hair and comb through before applying product.
2. Using a quarter-sized amount of gel serum, emulsify using your hands and apply product throughout hair.
3. With a fine tooth comb, comb through front half of hair and blow dry on a low setting. When blow drying the back half of your hair, simply run fingers through as you blow dry.
4. Spray texturizing spray such as Oribe’s “Dry” to roots at the front for a boost. Your style will thank you later. Sculpt hair with hands.
5. Apply a styling wax like “Rough Luxury” by Oribe on sides and back of hair for a polished, smooth look. Comb through if desired.
6. Finish with a medium, more flexible hairspray like Oribe’s non-sticky “Super Fine” throughout for extra shine and hold. If you don’t want to fuss over your hair or worry about it for hours at a time, say yes to hairspray to ensure a put together look that lasts. With Oribe, you also get the bonus of a sexy scent for the win!
Stylist Amanda Colihan recently showed us a bodacious hairstyle that had us smitten and completely mad about mod. Now she shows us another voluminous look that you will be running to try! Sweep your hair back and learn the double ponytail technique – a pro trick that will change the way you pony up. It’s an easy way to create a longer, fuller pony look that’s posh, pretty, and perfect for your next party.
Pony Up Tutorial via Happi.com
If you’ve made last minute plans to attend a holiday party but find your hair a mess, or if you’re stressing over how to leave the office for a hair appointment in the middle of your crazy holiday schedule…You can still get fancy and fabulous in a flash! Expert stylist and braid specialist Dana Tizzio suggests a “face forward” DIY ‘do and accent braid to dress up your look for an elegant occasion. What better way to accessorize than with a pretty plait – especially when there’s no time needed to prep your hair for the look? Dana’s life-saving holiday styling tip is something we all need to carry in our back pocket. It’s just as simple to achieve as it is stunning!
Even if the winter weather has made your hair dry, frizzy, or flat – or when you’ve skipped a day since your last shampoo – there’s no reason to let your hair’s condition stop you from getting glam on your time. This quick upstyle is ideal for “last minute” or on-the-go emergencies because you don’t even need a hairbrush to complete this look! All that is required to go from boring-to-black-tie can be placed at the bottom of your bag or clutch: a few pins, hair ties, and a mini/travel-sized version of your favorite dry shampoo/texturizing spray (something we never ever leave the house without anyway!)… And if you’re lucky, a fabulous pair of earrings or a shiny choker necklace is also in your reach to top off the look! (All jewelry on Dana by NYC’s Jaline Design.)
1. Section 1/4 hair from side part to ear, and add Shu Uemura “Texture Wave” spray for volume.
2. Start braid at part, focusing braid at the very front of forehead. Secure end with elastic.
3. Spritz more “Texture Wave” spray throughout hair. This helps enhance texture for easier styling and will keep everything in place better for the long haul.
4. Without brushing, twist all of hair to the side of braid and secure with elastic to create a ponytail.
5. Braid ponytail, including the front braid, and secure ends with an elastic. (It does not need to be tight.)
6. Hold one piece of the braid at the end with one hand. With the other hand, push entire braid upward from the bottom with your fingers to create “rouge” effect. Wrap braid and shape into a knot. Nestle it off to one side for the best look. (You want this to be a focal point!)
7. Secure with bobby pins, and use the hair pins to manage any loose ends. You can either embrace the bobby pins by creating a design to compliment your style, or make sure to place them strategically so that they are hidden.
8. Loosen the front of the braid and work your way back. For results that will beautifully frame your face, widen from the start of the braid and continue to pull hair apart gently on each section. This will create a softer and more romantic, evening-ready braided look.
“Whether you’re a professional girl or a party girl this is a service that works for everyone…”
Min Kim, master color specialist/L’Oreal Professionnel artist, shows us that there can never be a dull moment for your hair when you choose balayage. Through this customized painting service, Min takes summery gold strands to a more seasonally appropriate snow bunny blonde. Watch how she paints her way through her client’s last balayage service from SEVEN months ago to evolve the tone with newly added low lights and face-framing highlights that are perfect for enhancing anyone’s winter style or special holiday ‘do. With this refreshed and equally low-maintenance look, hair color can stay bright all season long and transition beautifully into 2015!
(Original story at According To Dawn)